Successful Parenting after Divorce
Co-parenting Following a Divorce
Legally ending a marriage can be extremely stressful. Even when both parties agree to the divorce, many decisions will need to be made before the process is concluded. When minor children are involved, a parenting plan will be required to ensure their well-being. This includes custody, visitation and
support arrangements that will provide the children with stability, minimize potential conflicts, and establish an overall framework for their future care and upbringing. A
Long Island family lawyer can give you worthwhile advice regarding co-parenting and how to achieve your child-rearing goals after a divorce.
Successful co-parenting after a divorce will require on-going communication on a range of issues related to your children's welfare and rearing, including daily routines, schedules, education and discipline. Parents should work together for the benefit of their children. Maintaining a positive attitude throughout the many changes that will be occurring will help ease the transition. Other ways to achieve success as a co-parent post-divorce include:
- Maintain as much consistency as possible
- Make decisions based on the best interests of your children
- Consult with each other on any major child-rearing decisions
- Be flexible and forgiving if things don't work out as planned
- Adhere to established visitation schedules
- Keep agreements regarding support
- Developing and maintain a considerate relationship
- Cooperate with each other
- Support your child's relationship with the other parent
- Respect each other's parenting styles
- Quickly address and resolve any problems that occur
- Keep each other informed and up-to-date on your children's activities
- Avoid conflicts as much as possible, especially around the children
- Do not question your children about the other parent
You will also achieve success with co-parenting if you keep your children's needs a priority and the basis for important and long-term decisions.
Long Island Divorce Attorney
Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. is a highly regarded family law firm that can provide divorcing parents with qualified assistance in the development of parenting plans. Our firm can also help a parent with modifications to an existing custody or support agreement.
Contact a Long Island divorce lawyer
at our office if you are a parent seeking a divorce for essential information on child custody, support and parenting plans.